Monday, May 8, 2017

Changing host families

A question that I get asked often is why I always have to change host families. I just want to clarify that its not because I'm getting kicked out or have had any problems with my families! I am here on a cultural and language exchange so I change host families to see different ways of life and experience new things! My first host family had a farm with over 2,000 pigs, my second family has an apartment in Zermatt and goes skiing every weekend in the nicest ski resort in Switzerland and now I'm with the Bouverat family who travel all around Switzerland and have a lot of knowledge and insight to share with me (these are not the only things about my host families it's just an example to show the diverse lifestyles). I was in Zermatt for the holidays skiing and going to the Zermatt unplugged concert before I had to change so I packed up all my stuff said bye to my second host family, got on the train and I am now with my last family :( They are all so nice and only after a few weeks I already feel at home. They love to travel around which is cool because I've never been to Lausanne before and as soon as they found that out we made plans and went the next day. I just moved to this family and I already feel like a part of it. They are always so happy and welcoming I feel at home and it's just an amazing feeling to be able to connect with people in such little time. My older host sister, Carole was on exchange in Tasmanian and she had a friend, Antilia visiting her for a few days when I arrived. We would all do things together like go to Lausanne to walk along the lake and we went on a 6 hour (including picnic lunch and breaks) bike ride through Murten, along Lake Murten. My other host sister, Claudine is leaving on exchange in the end of July so my host family is an exchange family they are so fun and open it's great. My host sisters are 16 and 20 so we get along nicely and my host mom is also like a big sister to me, she's so sweet. My host dad was president of JCI for a year and has travelled and helped people all over the world so we often have really nice discussions about world issues and our travels. I'm excited for all the quality times and good laughs to come with my new family :)

"Welcome Hannah"

Family selfie 

picnic lunch

bike tour in Murten 

Claudine (host sister), Carole (host sister), Antilia (Tazi friend aka. temporary host sister), me 



Lausanne 


Carole (host sister, 20yrs), me (16yrs), Claudine (host sister, 16yrs), Antilia (18yrs)

cute little house on the water

Lausanne 

little tour train in Lausanne 

My host mom, Vreni by the small bahnhof



so many people in the paddle boats!

well enjoyed icecream break 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures! Can't believe you're already with your third host family! Incredible! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete