Thursday, July 27, 2017

Bus driver appreciation post

I first stared taking the bus when I was with my first host family at the beginning of the year. This bus driver (I'm going to wing how to spell hist Swiss nickname cause I have no idea) Cübii was always so joyful in the morning and always asked how I was doing and at the beginning I had no idea what he was saying so I just did the typical smile and nod kind of thing. Now, I am not the best at getting myself around and especially not arriving on time. People always talk about how Swiss people are always on time blah blah its not really that true because my bus was often a few minutes late. Anyways I was a few minutes late one day but so was the bus because I watched it pull up to the bus stop and as I was looking my bike my bus driver was cheering me on but telling me to hurry up before he has to leave without me. When I got on the bus he started saying stuff to me in Swiss german that I didn't understand but I didn't know what to do until someone finally told him that I'm an exchange student from America, which I understood so I corrected them and said Canada. He laughed and then greeted me in English from then on until I could speak some more German. Awhile later I was late again but somehow he knew I was coming so he waited a minute and when I walked on the bus he said that he wouldn't leave without his favourite Canadian and its been something that I haven't forgotten. We would always have little conversations about bad drivers and the weather and it was so nice. When I changed host families I moved to a different town and had new bus drivers. Non of my new bus drivers were nice and joyful like Cübii and I couldn't have a conversation with them. I didn't realize how much of a positive impact he had on my day. My third host family lived in the same town where I used to take the bus at the beginning so I knew I would be seeing him again and one morning as my friend and I were waiting for our train I stopped and had a chat with Cübii for the first time since the beginning of the year and I just told him how he is my favourite bus driver and how he's a great man and I asked to get a picture with him so that I will never forget and he was so happy it made my day. After that chat and picture we would stop and chat while I waited for the train and he would introduce me to the other bus drivers as his favourite Canadian.



No comments:

Post a Comment