Tuesday, June 6, 2017

End of exchange year speech in German presented to host Rotary Club

As many of you may know the end of my year is approaching and it is time to start saying my "until next time's". I had 15 minutes to present my year to my host Rotary club and I must say it was one of the hardest speeches I've had to write. This year has been the best year of my life. It has had its ups and its downs but I have learned and grown from every experience. About 10 months ago I hopped on a plane and flew to a country I didn't know anything about, I couldn't speak the language and I didn't know anyone. I had to start over, basically build a new life. Going from not knowing anything about a family except for the fact they live on a farm to living in their house and following this unfamiliar lifestyle is something I can’t explain. It’s a hit and miss with good host families and let me tell you I have had the best of luck. All of my host families have been beyond amazing and the same goes with my YEO, counsellor and all of my friends. We all started off as strangers and now we've turn into an international family, that happens fast on exchange. I am so thankful for everything everyone has done for me this year, you are the reason I am able to have such an amazing experience.
My speech is in German but here I have the written version with English translation. I didn't read my paper word for word but this is just to give you an idea on what I am trying to say.
I haven't been able to figure out how to successfully post videos on here so I have uploaded my speech onto Youtube and you can watch it by clicking here: My Speech
Here is my written speech

Greeting
-Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen and welcome to my presentation about my exchange year here in Switzerland. 
-Guten Tag zusammen und willkommen zu meinem Vortrag über mein Austausch Jahr hier in der Schweiz
Intro
-My name is Hannah Bywater, I am 16 and I come from Ontario, Canada 
-Ich bin Hannah Bywater aus Canada und ich bin 16 Jahre alt.

Thank you
-First of all, I would just like to thank you all so much for having me here today and hosting me as your Rotary exchange student this year! 
-Zuerst möchte ich euch für die Einladung danken und auch für das Hosting als ihre Austausch Studentin dieses Jahr.

Life in a year
-Some people see exchange as a year in your life but I see it as a life in a year. 
-Viele Leute sehen ein Austausch Jahr als ein Jahr in deinem Leben, aber ich sehe es als ein Leben in einem Jahr. 

Changed my life
-This experience has been life changing.
-Diese Erfahrung hat mich verändert.

Being a traveler
-I am a traveller, I love to volunteer with animals and help people
from around the world.

-Ich bin eine Reiserin, ich liebe es mich freiwillig zu melden und
Tieren und Menschen auf der ganzen Welt zu helfen

Being away from home 
-I’ve been away from home, my parents/friends before but never for
more than one month.

-Ich war schon vorher weg von zuhause, ohne meine Eltern und Freunde, aber nie
länger als einen Monat.

Africa 
-My first trip without my parents was when I was 14 and went to Africa
to volunteer and help build a school and work with local people

-Auf meiner ersten Reise, ohne meine Eltern, war ich 14 und bin nach Afrika gegangen, um eine Schule zu bauen und mit Menschen zu arbeiten.

Not knowing anyone
-Before this I didn’t know anyone else going on this trip, I was alone
but after the first week I made friends that I still talk to today and
that trip was 4 years go.

-Als ich diese Reise machte, kannte ich niemanden, der dort sein würde. Aber bereits nach einer Woche fand ich viele Freunde, mit welchen ich auch heute noch Kontakt habe.

India
-Last July I was in India for one month for a volunteer project, when
I got home I had twelve days to pack up say my “see you laters” and
hop hop of to Switzerland for 1 year.

-Letzten Juli war ich in Indien für ein monatliches freiwilliges Projekt. Als ich nach hause gegangen bin hatte ich 12 Tage Zeit zum Packen und auf
Wiedersehen zu sagen und hop hop bin ich in die Schweiz gekommen für ein Jahr.

Not knowing any german 
-I came here without any ability to say anything in German except for “Ich bin Hannah aus Kanada” and “Belegtes Brot” (a piece of bread topped with meat and cheese). 
-Bevor ich in die Schweiz gekommen bin, konnte ich kein Deutsch als “Hallo ich bin Hannah aus Kanada” und “Belegtes Brot”

No family being a stranger 
-I came here without friends and family, I was a stranger to everyone as they were to me. 
-Ich bin hier ohne Freunde und Familie gekommen, ich war eine Fremde für alle und sie waren es für mich.

Airport doors
-I still remember walking through the doors at the airport and seeing my first host family for the first time, I was so nervous but so excited for what was to come. 
-Ich erinnere mich immer noch als ich durch die Türe im Flughafen gelaufen bin und meine erste Familie für das erste Mal gesehen habe. Ich war nervös und gleichzeitig aufgeregt für die kommenden Erfahrungen.

First new house
-Arriving to my first house was so surreal, it was also so stinky. I knew my host family lived on a farm but little did I know it was a pig farm with over 2,000 pigs 
-Als ich mein erstes neues “zuhause” gesehen habe, war es so unwirklich und es hat gestunken.
Ich habe schon gewusst, dass meine Familie auf einem Bauernhof lebt aber ich habe nie gewusst, dass sie über 2,000 Schweine hat.

Quite the experience 
-That was quite the experience for being the animal lover that I am. 
-Das war ganz die Erfahrung für die Tierliebhaberin welche ich bin.

Birthdays 
-I met my entire family in 2 weeks, this family was so family oriented, every week was someone’s birthday and the family would get together and celebrate. 
-Ich habe meine ganze Familie kennen gelernt in ungefähr 2 Wochen, weil sie sind so familienorientiert, jeder Woche gab es einen Geburtstag und es gab immer ein Familien fest. 

Important first 6 months 
-I spent my first 6 months with this host family and I can only preach how important it is and how lucky I was to be with a good family that I was comfortable with for my first 6 months because they helped me get through the toughest part of exchange, they were there to help me make the transformation into a true exchange student and aloud me to eat a lot of pork.
-Ich war für die ersten 6 Monaten mit dieser Familie und ich kann nur sagen wie wichtig es ist und wie glücklich ich bin eine solch gute Familie zu haben während dieser Zeit. Die ersten paar Monate sind die schwierigsten und sie haben mir in dieser Zeit geholfen, mich in der Schweiz einzuleben mich an die Kultur zu gewöhnen und natürlich viel Schinken zu essen.

Changing fams
-When I changed host families I never knew what to expect, I thought that I would have to start from scratch again but what I didn’t realize is that I developed this new ability to not be so awkward all the time. 
-Als ich Familie gewechselt habe, hatte ich nicht gewusst was ich erwarten soll, ich habe gedacht, dass ich wieder von null anfangen muss, aber ich habe nicht realisiert, dass mir dies geholfen hat offener und anpassungsfähiger zu werden.

Better german helps 
-I guess my German was also getting better so I could actually communicate with people. 
-Mein Deutsch war auch besser sodass ich besser mit Leuten reden konnte.

Great 2nd fam
-My second host family was really cool, they wanted me to experience things just as much as I did.
-Meine zweite Familie war richtig toll, sie wollten, dass ich viel Sachen erleben konnte. 
Mir hat es viel Spass gemacht neue Dinge zu entdecken.

Getting along with kids 
-I got along really well with my younger host siblings, we would always play together, I don’t think there are enough fingers in this room to count how many times I played the game Uno.
-Ich habe mich wirklich gut mit meinen jungen Geschwistern verstanden, wir haben sehr oft zusammengespielt. Ich glaube, wir alle haben nicht genügend fingern um zu zählen wie viel Mal wir das Spiel Uno gespielt haben.

Extended fam
-I felt welcome in my extended family it was really great. 
-Ich fühlte mich willkommen in meinem erweiterten Familienkreis, es war eine richtig tolle Zeit bei ihnen.

Skiing in zermatt
-I am also very lucky because I got to ski almost every weekend in Zermatt because they have an apartment there. 
-Ich bin auch sehr glücklich und dankbar, weil ich fast jedes Wochenende in Zermatt skigefahren bin, weil sie dort eine Wohnung haben. 

25 days
-I skied about 25 days at the nicest ski resort in Switzerland, I don’t know how much cooler it can get. 
-Ich bin ungefähr 25 tage im schönsten Skigebiet der Schweiz ski gefahren.
Ich weiss nicht, was noch besser sein könnte.

St moritz 
-I got the opportunity to go to the World Championships for ski racing in St. Moritz thanks to Hanspeter Baeriswyl
-In St. Moritz konnte ich dank  Hanspeter Baeriswyl (Bah-ris-vill) zur world champioship gehen um skirennen zu schauen

Me ski racing 
-In Canada I ski race so it was cool to see the people I look up to race in person. 
-In Kanada fuhr ich Skirennen und es war cool die Leute in Wirklichkeit zu sehen, welche ich bewundere!

Luck for good host fams 
-I must say, I have had the best of luck having my three amazing host families.

-Ich muss sagen, dass ich wirklich Glück mit 3 erstaunlichen Gastfamilien hatte.

Bouverats 
-Now I live with the Bouverat family and they are really great, they are always positive and make me feel like a part of the family 

-Ich bin jetzte bei Familie Bouverat und sie sind toll, immer positive und ich fulhe mich wohl in dieser Familie.

Travel alot 
-They like to travel around switzerland. They are full of knowlegde and culture and I hope to learn lots from them

-Sie sind eine Familie die gern in die schweiz reisen und sie sind voller wissen und Kultur, also werde ich viele von ihnen lehrnen.

B1
-I am very happy to say that I have passed my B1 German test with a
87% and I will be receiving a B1 German diploma.

-Ich freue mich sehr zu sagen, dass ich meinen B1-Deutsch-Test mit 87 Prozent bestanden habe und ich werde ein B1-Diplom erhalten.

German course 
-I took 2 intensive German courses in Bern, one was at the beginning and the other one was 12 days throughout the winter.

-Ich habe zwei intensivkurs in Bern absultiert, ein war ganz am anfang und die andere war 12 tage in winter.

Self teaching
-Other than that, I have basically been teaching myself German by doing.

-Auch habe ich mir selbst Deutsch beigebracht, da ich einfach geredet habe ohne Angst.

Swiss german 
-I found it difficult to learn high German here when everyone around
me speaks a different dialect, but now it’s okay because I can
actually understand quite a bit of Swiss German but I must admit, it
did take a lot of time and frustration.

-Ich fand es schwierig Hochdeutsch zu lernen, da alle um mich herum Schweizerdeutsch sprachen, doch jetzt ist es nicht mehr schlimm, da ich ein Bisschen Schweizerdeutsch verstehe aber ich muss sagen, dass es sehr frustrierend war und es lange gedauert hat, bis ich den Dialekt ein Bisschen verstand.

Choir
-I joined my school Choir and one thing that actually helped me a lot
where the German songs that we would sing because they would get stuck
in my head and I would learn new words and memorize placement of
verbs.

-Ich trat dem Schulchor bei und das half mir sehr, vor allem durch die Deutschen Lieder lernte ich viel, denn der Text ging mir schnell ins Ohr und so lernte ich neue Wörter und neue Satzstellungen.

Thanks for greece 
-I want to thank you all for the opportunity to go to Greece with my
choir, it was such an amazing experience.

-Ich möchte euch allen Danken für die Möglichkeit, dass ich nach Griechenland gehen konnte mit dem Chor. Es war eine super Erfahrung!

7 days singing 
-We were there for 7 days we visited many museums and naturally sang every day.

-Wir waren dort für 7 Tage und wir besuchten viele Museen und natürlich sangen wir jeden Tag

Weather and food

-The weather was great the food was great it was an all around great
time and I thank you so much for that.

-Das Wetter war super, das Essen war köstlich und allgemein war es eine super Zeit in Griechenland. 

Thankful
-I am very thankful for everything you have done to allow me to experience that.
-Ich bin sehr dankbar dafür, dass ich dorthin gehen durfte!

Extra
-My exchange year has been the best in my life. 
-The people ive met 
Die Leute die ich kennengelernt habe und die Sachen, die ich gelernt und erlebt habe, sind unglaublich.
Euro Tour
-My next experience is euro tour in july

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME AND BEING APART OF THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment